Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Nicaragua 2009: The Team

Left to Right
Top Row: David, John, Kim, Chelsea, Jason, Cheryl, Kelli
Bottom Row: Josh, Chris (Addie got in to show how cute she is)


We had an outstanding team in Nicaragua, we meshed really well and had an amazing time of prayer, fellowship, praising God, tears, friendship, and laughter. I really enjoy laughing and we did plenty of it. I was blown away by the team. As Kim said, I really didn't know everyone very well when we left but came back with 8 really great friends.

Church Leadership
Let me talk about our church leadership. Josh our head pastor and John our associate pastor both came on this trip. Talk about leading by example, these two guys didn't tell us we should go they went and asked who wanted to come along. Josh has a wife and three children, he has such a love for people and a real gift for telling people about Jesus. John has a wife, three children, and his wife is 8 months pregnant. I could talk about John for hours, he is a tough guy with a golden heart. One event on the trip showed me more of John's character than the previous 18 months I have known him.

Teens
Chelsea and David were our teenagers on this trip. To be so young and have already experienced something like this is awesome, and to top that I never once heard either of them complain about the food or the lack of sleep or the hard work. They went sold out to the mission and I am sure reaped the benefits of complete devotion. Chelsea was called upon to talk the first day we were there at a woman's conference and did a terrific job, both were called upon to give their testimony several times throughout the week. I pray that the experience deepened their relationship with Jesus and continues to mature them into the man and woman that God desires them to be.

The Team
Cheryl, Jason, Kim, Kelli.
Jason was someone I really did not know very well before the trip, but I really enjoyed getting to know him. Jason has a big heart for God and I was amazed at his love for the children and the children's love towards him. Cheryl is one of my wife's best friends, her son and our daughter are great friends. Cheryl has such a big heart, I saw this when we went into the dump (la Chureca) in Managua...Cheryl was unable to go in because of her asthma but I could see in her eyes it was killing her not to go. Cheryl never missed a chance to hug a child or hand out a meal. Kim was a unknown to me before the trip, but I saw enough of her heart and personality on this trip to know that I really like her. Kim spent a large portion of her time at the feeding programs feeding the children, dressing wounds, or giving hugs and comfort. Since she is a registered nurse, Kim was the only one able to go into the burn unit at the hospital. Kelli--what can I say about my friend Kelli? Kelli's heart is bigger than a house. Kelli loves children and it is obvious by her actions, she would rather feed and care for children than sleep.

I could go on about each person on the trip, every one of these people amazed and astounded me with their love and giving spirits. I don't think many of us knew what to expect, we just went down there with an idea that we were going to serve children and follow Jesus. We came back so blessed and humbled by such an amazing experience. Over the next few days I am going to try and explain what I saw, felt, and experienced, but I have to ask a rhetorical question: How do you put into words an indescribable event? I am proud to have served along side each and every one of my friends.

No comments: