Friday, September 25, 2009

Nicaragua 2009: Kim's Story

I have not done a post on Nicaragua for a while but I had asked the team members to submit stories that were particularly touching to them during the trip for inclusion as a guest post. Today I would like to tell Kim's story. Kim came on this trip like many of us not really knowing what to expect and afraid of flying, I think it turned out to be a wonderful and terrific trip for her. I know I really enjoyed watching and listening to Kim on this trip, she has a tremendous heart for the children and being a nurse was able to clean and care for some of the children's wounds while we were there. The following is Kim's story:

I heard the voice of the Lord saying: "Whom shall I send, and who will go for US?" Then I said "Here I am! Send me." Isaiah 6:8

The trip to Nicaragua was a great experience. I feel God called me to be a part of this wonderful team in spreading the love and word of Jesus Christ. I have to admit I was scared but I didn't let that stop me. I was scared to fly and even go to a foreign place with people that I really didn't know. It was such a bonding experience and now I have 8 great new friends here in Virginia and many new ones in Nicaragua because of it.

It is hard for me to express the emotions and feelings that I have for the trip. No words can truly express what I have seen and experienced during my time in Nicaragua. “The Dump” is a trash dump that some Nicaraguans live in. The photos don’t allow you to have the full experience. The photos don’t allow you to smell the stench or to experience breathing of the infectious air these people breath on an everyday basis. I have to say we Americans are spoiled. I feel blessed for everything and everyone in my life.


If I had to pick another moment of the trip that stands out it is the first feeding station we went to. It was in a remote village and we all helped to prepare the food. When it was time to feed the children they all line up with what ever they have to put the food in, some had nothing. The children with no dish or plate to eat off of are what I remember the most. The fact that, we had to pull leaves off of the trees around and use them as plates for these children to eat off of, has left a lasting impression on me. All I could think of was we throw away paper plates, cups, etc in our country. No more paper plates, cups, bowels or silverware for this girl.

I have to say I miss the beautiful smiling faces of the Nicaraguan people especially the children. I also miss the singing, and wonderful church services we attended. I can’t wait to return and hope all who have pondered the idea of doing a mission trip; have the courage to respond to the call. It will be an experience you will never regret and you will return a changed person.


No comments: